Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Will Say...

David really knew the key to deliverance—the words of his mouth!

Read the Psalms...take note of every time he says something [in quotes] and then how he immediately links it to God's action. He puts his faith, his trust in God, in his mouth, doing exactly what it says in Job 22:28—decree a thing and it will be established for you!

His son, Solomon, learned it at his knee. The entire book of Proverbs revolves around the wisdom of God, declared through the mouth into the earth!

The most famous example is Psalm 91. Although there is controversy as to whether Moses or David wrote it, I know Who wrote it! The Holy Spirit of the Living God, that's Who!

And knowing that, I'm pretty sure He was trying to tell us something...

'He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
'I WILL SAY to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust !"
'For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.
'You will not be afraid of the terror by night, Or of the arrow that flies by day; of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon.7 A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you.
'You will only look on with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. For YOU HAVE MADE the LORD, my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place. No evil will befall you, nor will any plague come near your tent. For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. They will bear you up in their hands, that you do not strike your foot against a stone.
'You will tread upon the lion and cobra, the young lion and the serpent you will trample down.
Then God responds...
'"Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation."' [Psalm 91]

First, He tells us to abide in the Lord, just like Jesus told us to abide in Him in John 15.

'"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing .
'"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."' [John 15:4,5,7]

Notice the consequence of abiding in Him...you will bear much fruit, and whatever you ask will be done for you!

Psalm 91:2 continues...'I will SAY to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in Who I trust!"' Then the rest of Psalm 91 describes the protection that is invoked by that statement!

The I WILL SAY is the how behind YOU HAVE MADE!

And please note: God didn't waver, He didn't make him wait, He didn't tell him that he didn't deserve His help. He also did NOT tell him that maybe the answer would be no to teach him something, or because he was asking for too much...read 2 Corinthians 1:20, 1 John 5:14,15 and John 14-17.

Hallelujah!

More Examples
We see this throughout the Psalms. Here are just a few examples—note that he starts with a statement, then he describes the Lord's action in response to the words of his mouth!

'"I love you, O Lord, my strength."
'The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
'I call upon the Lord, Who is worthy to be praise, and I am saved from my enemies.' [Psalm 18:1-3]

'I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I WILL TELL of all your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I WILL SING praise to Your name, O Most High.
WHEN MY ENEMIES TURN BACK, they stumble and perish before You.' [Psalm 9:1-3]

'O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have [plural] displayed Your splendor above the heavens.
'From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength [Jesus used the word praise—Matthew 21:16] BECAUSE OF YOUR ADVERSARIES, TO MAKE THE ENEMY AND THE REVENGEFUL CEASE.' [Psalm 8:1,2]

I am writing myself so happy that I can hardly sit still...

Declare, Receive, Give Thanks
Another thing seems to be a recurring trend...David starts with a declaration, then tells what the Lord has done in response to his declaration, and then finishes with thanksgiving!

What I really love is that he believes he receives WHEN HE PRAYS, a la Mark 11:24!

'"Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me; O Lord, be my helper." You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, that my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.' [Psalm 30:10-12]

This next one is really interesting...not only does David put his faith in his mouth, he asks God to shut the mouths of those who are against him and keep him safe from their words! He really believed in the power of the tongue!

'O Lord, in Your strength the king will be glad, and in Your salvation [victory] how greatly he will rejoice! You have given him his heart's desire, and YOU HAVE NOT WITHHELD THE REQUEST OF HIS LIPS.' ]Psalm 21:1,2]

'But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord, I SAY 'You are My God." My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me.
'Make Your face to shine upon Your servant' save me in Your lovingkindness. Let me not be put to shame, O Lord, FOR I CALL UPON YOU; let the wicked be put to shame, let them be SILENT in Sheol. Let the LYING LIPS BE MUTE, WHICH SPEAK arrogantly against the righteous with pride and contempt
'How great is Your goodness, which You have stored up for those who fear You, which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You, before the sons of Men! You hide them in the secret place of your presence form the CONSPIRACIES of man; You keep them secretly in a shelter from the STRIFE OF TONGUES.' [Psalm 31:14-20]

It works in reverse, too...mankind reaps what he says, good or bad.

'The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and have committed abominable injustice; there is no one who does good.' [Psalm 14:1]

There are so many more examples in the Psalms—I encourage you to read them with new eyes, to behold this wonderful truth.

I leave you with one of my favorites. I have indicated all the words having to do with the spoken word [and the hearing thereof] in caps.

'I will BLESS the Lord at all times; His PRAISE shall continually be in my MOUTH. My soul will make its BOAST in the Lord; the humble will HEAR it and REJOICE.
'O MAGNIFY the Lord with me, and let us EXALT His name together.
'I sought the Lord, and He ANSWERED me, And delivered me from all my fears.They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed.
'This poor man CRIED, and the Lord HEARD him and saved him out of all his troubles.
'The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them.' [Psalm 34:1-7]

Hallelujah!